Monday, October 20, 2008

My Obama/Biden sign was stolen

Last night some coward stole my Obama/Biden sign which had only been up just over a week. The only location I have on my property to put a sign that can be seen from the busy highway nearby is quite a distance from the house, so it's next to impossible to notice if someone is stealing my signs. I've tried to make my presence known by going out on the front porch regularly to look over my sign's location, but last night some jerk grabbed it without me knowing. Sure, it could have been mischievous kids or an Obama fan who wanted their own sign, but I seriously doubt it. Where I live (in the heart of red state Alabama) there are no other Obama signs anywhere. I've seen a few McCain/Palin signs up the road, and interestingly they're still there today after mine was stolen.

Let me just say that the kind of person who would steal a political sign because they support someone else is a despicable individual. I would never even consider taking someone's sign and infringing on their right to free speech. But, this is the country we now live in, where those with opposing views are attacked rather than respected.

To anyone who would steal ANY political sign: You are the worst form of coward there is, and a criminal. You might as well go and find a Veteran and spit in their face because by stealing a sign you are only infringing on someone's constitutional right to free speech, which that Veteran served their country to protect. There are plenty of countries where you wouldn’t be bothered with problems like free speech. Please choose one and move there. You don’t deserve to live here. Also, every time you steal a sign I will donate more money to Obama - so you are only helping him get elected President.

So, what will I do? Put up my last Obama/Biden sign to be stolen again? Nope. Set a booby trap so the thief will get a hand full of razor blades or a foot full of nails? Nah - I refuse to hurt even the idiots who would steal a sign (plus it would be illegal). Instead, I'm currently making my own homemade sign out of a very heavy piece of plywood that will be attached to a big 2x4. It will be much harder to steal or destroy, and anyone who tries will have to make a lot of noise to do so. I am also setting up video surveillance to catch a perpetrator's face or license number. Hopefully, this will end my sign theft problem, and I'll post pictures when my sign is complete.

Another alternative is to print my own signs and post them everywhere on our property. Here is a nice resource for Obama/Biden printable signs in PDF format.

No comments: